Black Torrington C of E Primary School is a rural school made up of two classes. The school has close links with the local community and St Mary's Church and we offer a warm welcome to any families who wish to join us.
On 1st September 2014 the school joined the Holsworthy Federation. This is a partnership with Bridgerule C of E Primary, Bradford Primary and Holsworthy Community College. On 1st January 2018 the school became part of Dartmoor Multi Academy. Our Trust consists of 17 schools who have come together, based on a shared vision which encompasses the values of both the Cooperative movement and the Church of England.
Black Torrington Primary School is a Church of England school set at the heart of our community. The building dates back to 1894 with a more modern extension added in 2001 where a former barn had stood. The present accommodation comprises an entrance foyer, administrator's office, staff office, library and reprographics area, two classrooms, kitchen, hall, toilets and storage areas. The hall is used for daily assemblies and acts of worship, as well as for lunch and physical activities.
Outside, the school has a playground and garden area, which backs on to open fields. The school also has access to the village playing fields, multi-purpose court and play park that are used regularly throughout the summer months. The village hall is used for dance and gymnastics in the winter months.
We enjoy strong links with the community and across the Dartmoor Multi Academy Trust. Through these links, we ensure the widest range of opportunities for our children. The family atmosphere is one of the strengths of our school and everyone looks after everyone else. This is evident during lessons and at playtimes when all ages work and play together. The school is ably supported by a dedicated governing body, an active PTFA and an enthusiastic school council, all of whom work hard to make our school an enjoyable and stimulating place to be.